Ghent is located about 50 km from Brussels and is considered a historical jewel of Belgium. The city is the birthplace of Charles V, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and heir to the house of Habsburg. Ghent played an important role during the industrial revolution in continental Europe and is where the first labour movement was established in 1859. Today, the city has maintained its medieval centre, and several of his Gothic buildings are listed as a World Heritage Sites by Unesco. WHAT TO EXPECT
• Departure from Brussels by train with our guide, who will tell you about the history, the architecture, the legends and much more for a visit of maximum 3 hours,
• The guide will suggest free-time activities (museums, restaurants, boutiques…),
• Free time of 3 hours,
• Return to Brussels by train with our guide.
If you would like to stay in Ghent for a longer time, our guide will give you all the necessary information to return to Brussels. PRACTICAL INFORMATION
When:• Every Monday and Wednesday
Starting time:• 9:30 am
Meeting point:• Grand-Place in front of the “Tourist Information Office”. Find our guides. They hold a white umbrella
Duration:• 9 hours
Language: • English
• Professional guide, expert in the history and the legends of Ghent
• Round trip by train from Brussels (Brussels-Ghent-Brussels)
Not included: • The meals
• The tickets to the museums
• The optional visit of the altarpiece “the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb” (4,00€)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Size of the group: to ensure the best service possible, our tours are limited to 25 participants per group.
For larger groups, please contact us. Booking:
Bravo Discovery offers you two booking options:
• Free booking : book and pay in cash on the day of the visit
• Online booking : book and pay directly online
We advise you to reserve your place as soon as possible to ensure availability. You can book up to 2 hours before the beginning of the tour (depending on the availability). How to spot our guides? that’s easy. Our guides hold a white umbrella with the "Bravo Discovery - Walking tour" logo on it. You will of course be informed of the name and contact details of your guide. We are a group: we recommend our "Day trip to Ghent" private guided tour starting from 220,00€. Send us a message to receive a personalised offer. Saint Bavo’s Cathedral: open from Monday to Saturday, 8:30am-6pm, and on Sunday, 10am-6pm.
Do you have more questions? if you have any further questions or would like to get more information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
• Saint Bavo’s Cathedral, a spectacular Gothic church decorated with majestic Baroque ornamentation. Step into the marble choir and private chapels, admire Peter Paul Rubens’ painting “Saint Bavo Enters the Convent at Ghent” and the Rococo pulpit, and go into the Romanesque crypt, where you can also admire its frescoes. Optional visit to the altarpiece “the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb” by the Van Eyck bothers, which is one of the most important works of art of the Middle Ages. • The market square, the Belfort tower, and the covered market. • The City Hall, an extraordinary building combining Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque architecture.
• The churches of St. Nicholas, St. James, and St. Michel, three parish churches that stand as a reminding of Ghent’s medieval past. • The Graslei, old port of the city and one of the most scenic places in Ghent, where you can admire the river Leie and the old guildhalls. • Gravensteen, a medieval castle that was the former residence of the Counts of Flanders. • Patershol, picturesque area with buildings of charming brick facades where restaurants and cafés offer you the best of the Flemish cuisine. • The medieval butchery, an imposing Gothic building of 1408 that is one of Europe oldest meat markets. TERMS OF SERVICE:
• To ensure your participation, we recommend booking your tour as soon as possible. • The number of participants is limited.
• Bravo Discovery ensures participation to only those who booked in advance. • Without prior booking, our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the tour depending on the availability. • We kindly ask you to be at the meeting point 10 minutes prior to the scheduled starting time. Booking:
• You can book up to 2 hours before the beginning of the tour (please note that the number of participants is limited to 25 per group). Cancellation:
• Up to 24 hours prior to the tour: 100% refund. • Less than 24 hours prior to the tour: no refund.
Bravo Discovery guarantees you the best guided tours in Ghent. We offer you to visit three of the most beautiful cities in Belgium: Bruges, Ghent, and Antwerp. They have impressive medieval city centers that stand as a proof of their historical character. Nowadays, Bruges, Ghent, and Antwerp are flourishing cities that in their own way can offer you the best of Belgian cuisine, beer, chocolate, fashion, arts and museums. English-speaking guides will meet you in Brussels from where you will depart on train to your respective destination, and they will go along with you during your day trip excursion until you come back to Brussels. Bravo Discovery staff members will make sure that you get the best of your tour, learning about the history and architecture of your destination, visiting its more important landmarks, and recommending you what to do and where to grab a bite during your free time.
Bravo Discovery sprlhttp://www.bravodiscovery.com.